Thursday, September 18, 2014

Week 4B


On Wednesday we went to two different design firms. The first one we went to was Web Page FX. I absolutely loved their firm. I was hesitant going in because I figured they only focused on web pages and coding, which is not what I think I want to do after I graduate. However, I fell in love the moment I walked in the door. The ambiance and atmosphere of their firm was so warming, “homey”, and comfortable. Everything was very modern. I also liked that Gina was in a sweatshirt and jeans. This showed me that they are very comfortable and accepting. The one thing that I loved the most about Web Page FX was that they offered a coding boot camp for all new employees. This made me feel more comfortable with possibly applying there after I graduate.

The second place we went was AndCulture. I didn’t like this firm as much as Web Page FX. Justin was very nice but he made me feel as if I was very far behind. He said that we should be extremely proficient in Photoshop and coding. He kept telling us that there are free courses online that we should be doing to teach ourselves coding. This gave me the feeling that they will not help me learn at all, that I am in charge of teaching myself everything. One of the employees that worked there also said that whenever you have free time between clients, you are expected to be researching new things and teaching yourself new skills. I did like the working environment though. The atmosphere felt cozy and I think that’s an essential thing to have when designing. However, I thought it was a little weird that most of the employees were standing. This could just be a preference for the employees but I still found it a little odd. Even though I didn’t like this place as much, it still helped me realize more about where I want to go and what I want to do after I graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment